Author Topic: Newest coatl update does not work in FSX Steam **SOLVED**  (Read 5277 times)

martin88

Newest coatl update does not work in FSX Steam **SOLVED**
« on: August 07, 2015, 12:19:33 am »
Hi,

I just tried to install the newest coatl version while I am in fsx. There comes a window with a white X "the live update was not installed"
What can I do? Only have GSX installed in my FSX Steam.

(sorry if this question is already answered somewhere)

Martin
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 10:47:56 am by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Newest coatl update does not work in FSX Steam
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 12:38:37 am »
The Live Update won't work if you don't update to the latest Couatl version and/or you never installed the Beta before.

Download and install either the Full GSX installer or the Stand-Alone Addon Manager, then you'll be able to use the Live Update to get new minor updates that will appear later on.

martin88

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 12:46:08 am »
I have the Addon Manager installed. Do you mean I need the newest GSX installer?
Can I over install over my old GSX or do I have to reinstall first?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 12:49:18 am »
Do you mean I need the newest GSX installer?

It's probably easier to just download the latest GSX installer, so you'll also get all vehicles and liveries we added while we were in Beta.

Can I over install over my old GSX or do I have to reinstall first?

Haven't said anything about uninstalling the previous version, so you can assume it doesn't matter.

martin88

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2015, 01:28:29 am »
Ty it worked and thank you again for fast helping!
 ;)

teisco

Re: Newest coatl update does not work in FSX Steam **SOLVED**
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2015, 11:06:37 am »
I am confused, I just bought this and now you say I don't have the full program? I have a download manager what else do I need?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2015, 11:26:23 am »
I am confused, I just bought this and now you say I don't have the full program? I have a download manager what else do I need

I already replied to you and explained to you everything by email.

Please make up your mind and decide if you prefer to be supported by email or by forum but not post twice here and by email on the same issue, because it will needlessly increase our support effort with no benefits to you whatsoever.

Since the issue has been already discussed, answered, reported by the original poster as fixed, and flagged as solved here AND you are being followed to by email, it's best if you stick to email and don't piggyback again on this thread.

teisco

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2015, 12:14:42 pm »
Thanks for the great support but I do find it interesting that your product has an auto update function that will not update to the latest version. No, you have to find the latest version (and how would we know) and then download that to get auto update. Thanks for the confusion.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2015, 12:26:36 pm »
Thanks for the great support but I do find it interesting that your product has an auto update function that will not update to the latest version. No, you have to find the latest version (and how would we know) and then download that to get auto update. Thanks for the confusion.

The confusing is due only because you haven't read the GSX manual that explains what the Live Update does and what doesn't. Quoting and trying to streamline from the GSX manual:

- You are being notified if there's a Minor update or a Major update

- A Minor Update is when only some of the core GSX code has changed and, since the GSX code works externally from FSX in the Couatl interpreter, this kind of update can be applied without restarting FSX

- A Major Update is when either the Addon Manager .DLL or the Couatl.exe file has been updated too, so it's not possible to update them without restarting FSX.

- Neither the Minor update or the Major update are made to update files OTHER than "GSX code" (Minor) or "Addon Manager/ Couatl" (Major). As the GSX manual also explains, to get updates for other files, like vehicles models, textures and sounds, you must either download the latest vehicles installer OR the GSX installer.

The reason why neither the Minor update or the Major won't update models/textures/sound, is because such files tends to be larger and SOME requires an FSX restart (texture) and some don't (models and sound) so, to be sure that you would have everything updated, we would need to always do it exiting FSX AND, since the files are larger, the updater size won't be so much different than the full GSX installer so, when a really large update that updated everything, code, software modules, models, textures and sounds, like this new release, it way simpler to just download the Full GSX installer.

Which is why, on this new release announcement here on the forum, we said to download and install the latest GSX installer from its own product page:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,12269.0.html

There's no special link to download this version, since it's not Beta anymore, it's available on the GSX Products page an the GSX page on the FSDT main site.

If Live Update was able to update to this release, we would have said "just run Live Update to get the new version", instead of asking to download it from the GSX product page.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 12:31:50 pm by virtuali »