Author Topic: Is there somewhere that lists the latest version of products?  (Read 4259 times)

p3dx3

Can you put on the product page, the latest version of each product so I know whether to update? I have found many airports had newer versions that I had installed and would like to make sure I keep up to date. Or is there an option I can set where the auto update checker will always look for the latest version of every product? Thank you

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl

p3dx3

Re: Is there somewhere that lists the latest version of products?
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2016, 12:41:51 am »
Already discussed here:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,11165.msg86136.html#msg86136

Thank you for the link. Can I suggest on the product page, like GSX telling me what date the latest repaint updates is from, each scenery has a date when the last update was made? Or to give us an option to enable check for updates for every product, even if it is only slightly outdated?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2016, 05:09:51 pm »
Can I suggest on the product page, like GSX telling me what date the latest repaint updates is from

The page says:

Choose the update by comparing the above dates with the date of your GSX Full installer, and download the installer which is newer than your GSX installer.

Which means, you should do as follows:

- Check the date of your GSX FULL installer

Is the date of the GSX Full installer OLDER than the date for the vehicle update (the one on the download button) ? If yes, you must download vehicle update. If not, you don't need the vehicle update.

each scenery has a date when the last update was made?

I already explained in that post why we can't do that or why this doesn't really apply to our method of making sceneries.

Sometimes we update the installer, to fix or change the *INSTALLER* behavior, with no actual changes made to the scenery.

The Live Update notification system, checks for updates to GSX AND scenery *SCRIPTS*, which is the Python code that handles the scenery. Thanks to our scripting system, there are many cases where we don't need to update the .BGL files (not even mentioning that 90% of our scenery is NOT even a .BGL!!), the scripts are able to patch the scenery objects "on the fly" so, if you have the latest version of the script ( which IS automatically notified of updates ), you don't need to download extra files.

This is how, for example, we are able to handle many differences in rendering between FSX and P3D, without having to distribute different set of files and without the need to notify because, if the script is updated, the scenery is updated too.

Other usual scenery modifications that happens during the release, are related to the AFCAD, and there IS a suggestion to download the latest one, either in the scenery installer and in the Stand-Alone Addon Manager. Yes, you are not *automatically* notified of a scenery AFCAD update in the Live Update notification, but there's a reason for this (there's always a reason...), it could be confusing because the AFCAD cannot be updated while the sim is running, so you would get a notification for "just" the AFCAD, that would appear as a Major Update, suggesting to download the Stand-Alone Addon Manager, with no need, other than having to RUN it, in order to get the "AFCAD question".

Basically, an automatic notification and patching system for a .BGL doesn't really work. But that's of course a problem of any scenery. It's LESS of a problem for OUR sceneries, because they rely less and less to .BGLs.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 01:56:36 pm by virtuali »

p3dx3

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2016, 11:29:59 am »
Thank you for the explanation.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 01:56:20 pm by virtuali »