Author Topic: Strange Things Happening  (Read 4569 times)

greener

Strange Things Happening
« on: May 29, 2015, 12:47:53 am »
I fully appreciate this problem appears in another thread but having followed the suggestions to resolve it I am still suffering the same issues.

After updating the Add On Manager to the latest version I began losing the buildings in all my FSDT and FB airports. Suddenly then KDEN for instance would disappear from the Add On menu. I uninstalled Add On and GSX then downloaded and installed fresh versions with Anti Virus switched off. Some airports reappeared whilst others still did not.

Now when trying to load an FSDT or FB airport I get a message saying that an unknown add-on has caused Couatl Scripting Engine to restart.

Sorry that this is old ground but I tried the advice in the other thread to avoid extra work for you guys!

Your kind help would be appreciated.

JON GREEN

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Strange Things Happening
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 09:59:32 am »
Suddenly then KDEN for instance would disappear from the Add On menu

A scenery is not supposed to be in the "Addons menu", if with "Addon menu" you mean the FSX "Addons menus".

If, instead, you mean the "Addon Manager" menu instead, you cannot lost just an entry. If the antivirus has blocked the download of some files, resulting in a mix of new and outdated files, it's possible you might lose an entire group of products, for example the *whole* Flightbeam entry.

If this is the case, the cause it's likely the antivirus.

I uninstalled Add On and GSX then downloaded and installed fresh versions with Anti Virus switched off. Some airports reappeared whilst others still did not.

As explained in all threads about the antivirus, when the problem is caused by a defective antivirus, it's not enough to switch it off, you must ALSO configure it to exclude the following files from scanning:

YourFSXFolder\bglmanx.dll
YourFSXFolder\fsdreamteam\Couatl\Couatl.exe

BEFORE launching FSX

Now when trying to load an FSDT or FB airport I get a message saying that an unknown add-on has caused Couatl Scripting Engine to restart.

The message doesn’t say just that. It says to check your Couatl.ERR file for details about the error, indicating its actual location on your system. Please post the content of your Couatl.ERR file.

greener

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 11:12:20 am »
Hi Umberto

Thank you for kindly responding.

Yes I was referring to the Add On Manager list of airports where after reinstalling Add On Manager an older list of airports appeared.

I will certainly look at configuring the AV to avoid the files you mentioned.

Yes the message did say to consult the Couatl.ERR file but I was not permitted to open it. Apologies but I am not a "technical" person!

My whole reason for raising this issue Umberto is that I have used your wonderful airports for a long time now and have never experienced any problems.

Kind wishes

JON

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 04:37:30 pm »
Yes the message did say to consult the Couatl.ERR file but I was not permitted to open it. Apologies but I am not a "technical" person!

That's because you tried to open it while FSX was still running. You must close FSX in order to look at it.

greener

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 06:55:21 pm »

That's because you tried to open it while FSX was still running. You must close FSX in order to look at it.

Hi Umberto

Sorry but FSX is not running but the message says Windows does not give me permission to access this file. Do I need to change something somewhere to give me access?

JON

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2015, 07:00:10 am »
Sorry but FSX is not running but the message says Windows does not give me permission to access this file. Do I need to change something somewhere to give me access?

Then FSX hasn't closed cleanly. Try to Restart Windows