Author Topic: On building a new machine....  (Read 3120 times)

Bobby

On building a new machine....
« on: May 25, 2015, 10:29:15 pm »
Hi all,

No complaints here, just thought I could get a little insight here from Umberto and others who may know.

This is the system that I'm working on (it's a desktop replacement laptop, Clevo P770ZM)

CPU:
Intel Core i7-4790K 4.40GHz, 8MB Cache, Quad Core Processor Unlocked

System Memory:
16GB (2 x 8GB) , PC3-14900, 1866MHz SODIMM

Video Adapter:
nVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M 8GB GDDR5

m.2 Slots:
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB m.2 SATA III 6GB/s Solid State Drive

m.2 Slots:
Samsung 512GB SM951 m.2 PCIe x4 Solid Sate Drive

Hard Drive:
Samsung 1TB 850 PRO Series SATA III 6Gb/s Solid State Drive

Hard Drive:
Samsung 1TB 850 PRO Series SATA III 6Gb/s Solid State Drive

My question involves the drives.
This machine is going to run only FSX, nothing else. I want to put the OS on the EVO 512GB m.2 card,
FSX on the SM951 m.2 PCIe x4 (because of the blazing read speeds),
and about 600GB of Megascenery on one of the 850 PRO's.
My FSDT and FlyTampa files will be installed within FSX.

Now, in my previous machine which is several years old with 3rd generation parts and spinner hard drives was ok but suffered from the usual stutters and micro-freezes.

Will this configuration make a huge difference, a little difference, or no difference? I don't care about initial load times, I get coffee and chat with the flight attendant while waiting for that; I'm more interested in "smoothness."

Umberto, is there anything you would change or recommend with how I want to load up the different drives?

Thank you for any advice and suggestions. I have 4 FSDT airports and hope to pick up more if this little experiment works  :)

Bobby

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: On building a new machine....
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2015, 09:43:39 am »
Will this configuration make a huge difference, a little difference, or no difference? I don't care about initial load times, I get coffee and chat with the flight attendant while waiting for that; I'm more interested in "smoothness."

The configuration is very good but:

Don't believe a laptop will ever be a true "desktop replacement". Yes, the video card number "looks" like a 980, but that M (Mobile) makes a lot of difference, since mobile GPU are underpowered in comparison with their desktop counterparts, so it will never perform like a real 980 would.

Yes, I read the nVidia claims that the 980M can offer about 75%-80% of the desktop 980 performances, but they don't say exactly when doing *what*, and FSX is a bit of a special case in gaming, because it's not so efficient in GPU usage. P3D is better in this aspect, but it also means it needs all the GPU power you can throw at it...

You don't see this so much in benchmark, because they run for a couple of minutes only, but for Flight sim usage, over a course of a flight, the GPU will automatically clock down itself to prevent overheating, which is WAY likely to happen on a laptop. And the CPU will do the same, and it will do it dynamically depending on the temperature so, all these clock up/downs made by both the CPU and the GPU WILL have a bad effect on smoothness, because your fps might go up/down depending on the temperature.

Having 4 SSDs installed internally, even if they are surely much better than traditional drives in relationship to overheating, they surely won't *help* keeping the temperature down.

So, unless you have strict space/mobility requirements and you MUST have a laptop, for much less money you can have more powerful AND (more importantly) reliable and *predictably* reliable desktop system.

About smoothness vs loading times. I'm afraid that, regardless if you don't care about loading times, and you are more interested in smoothness, working on such hardware will MOSTLY help with loading times.

Yes, smoothness will improve a bit too with very fast SSDs, when flying around a scenery, especially over large photoreal sceneries, but only to a point. You might have less blurries and a *bit* better smoothness especially when flying high and/fast, but don't expect better fps (comparing to the SAME system using traditional hard drives, of course) or any miracles.

And, don't expect the fastest SSD in the world will make the slightest difference if you are in a very dense airport, with lots of AI, using a memory-hungry and detailed airplane. The fastest hardware in the world will STILL risk OOMs there, if you don't restrain yourself with settings, and no hardware can replace a sub-optimized scenery.

The only thing that works well, is the one not entirely under your control, which is optimizing the SOFTWARE.

Just as an example, when we remade JFK, getting rid of everything that wasn't 100% native FSX code, we were able to INCREASE detail (JFK V2 added 3d taxiways, while JFK V1 was flat) AND getting a 30% fps increase too. To get a 30% fps increase in FSX on any random scenery, you should probably double the CPU/GPU power at least so, that's to give you an idea how much more efficient is working on the software, rather than the hardware.

The only thing you can control in the software is:

- Don't purchase something that is not very well optimized.

AND

- Don't go overboard with settings.

If you keep that in mind, and don't have unreasonable expectations, that system will work just fine. Although I'm still convinced that nothing can beat a Desktop for Flight sim usage.

Bobby

Re: On building a new machine....
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 04:29:06 pm »
Thank you Umberto, I appreciate your insight and advice.

The laptop is necessary due to space and travel constraints so this was the best I could do.

I understand what you are telling me about the settings, It's not my goal to push all the sliders to the right; I'll set them appropriately for the hardware I have. I'll also take your advice on my choice of optimized software addons.

I also understand what you are telling me about not having unreasonable expectations. That bit of advice is important and I will take that to heart.

Again, Umberto, thank you for your insight and I do see FSDT JFK and more of your software in my future  :)

Bobby