Author Topic: GSX and custom-made ADE in P2.5  (Read 4778 times)

Dimon

GSX and custom-made ADE in P2.5
« on: May 11, 2015, 02:03:43 pm »
I have plenty of custom-made ADE in my P3D and I'm just wondering if GSX uses ADE links and taxiways to navigate its vehicles OR GSX uses its own logic for trucks and vehicles movements.

The problem is that I have a lot of ADE tricks for add-one sceneries to make AI movements more effective. While it's good for AI it could have devastating effect on GSX,

Please clarify.

Thanks
i7-6700k@4.6Ghz, Z170 Delux, 980Ti-6GB5700, 2TB EVO850, 16GB DDR4 RAM Win7/64 PRO.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: GSX and custom-made ADE in P2.5
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 05:34:16 pm »
I have plenty of custom-made ADE in my P3D and I'm just wondering if GSX uses ADE links and taxiways to navigate its vehicles OR GSX uses its own logic for trucks and vehicles movements.

GSX always uses the AFCAD, which is the only place it can find information about the paths where vehicles can move. It's obviously using its own logic, but the data source can only be the AFCAD.

The problem is that I have a lot of ADE tricks for add-one sceneries to make AI movements more effective. While it's good for AI it could have devastating effect on GSX,

If with "ADE tricks", you mean such abominations like the "plumbing" technique, then no, using those methods IS asking for trouble. However, GSX gives a way higher weight to *VEHICLE* paths, so it tries to use those, and will use taxiways only when there's no other path.

Which means, if you want to use your custom made AFCADs, if you edit them in the proper way, by being sure that *vehicle* paths allow vehicles to reach all parking, GSX will use them by preference and shouldn't be affected by convoluted/abominated/plumbed taxiways.

Of course, this assumes you don't also introduce *errors*, like orphaned parkings, overlapping nodes, orphaned nodes, etc., which will surely result in problems, and not just with GSX.

Dimon

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 05:37:53 pm »
By "tricks" I mean a complex way of taxiways, links and nodes (sometimes it looks crazy on a paper) that optimize AI traffic movements and eliminates AI traffic jams. I don't do anything with elevation or exclusions. And yes, all the parkings are obviously connected to the taxiways.

Will I be safe with GSX?
i7-6700k@4.6Ghz, Z170 Delux, 980Ti-6GB5700, 2TB EVO850, 16GB DDR4 RAM Win7/64 PRO.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 05:42:47 pm »
By "tricks" I mean a complex way of taxiways, links and nodes (sometimes it looks crazy on a paper) that optimize AI traffic movements and eliminates AI traffic jams.

That's "plumbing"...

I don't do anything with elevation or exclusions.

Exclusions won't affect GSX in any way. Elevation tricks probably will, for example Aerosoft Madeira doesn't work with GSX, because the AFCAD has a different altitude then the scenery, but that's a very uncommon case.

And yes, all the parkings are obviously connected to the taxiways.

Of course they are. But that's not what I meant.

You must be sure that, by following *vehicle* paths, all parking in a scenery can be reached. Which, in fact, it's true to real world: vehicles are supposed to use their own paths, not taxiways. Taxiways will be used only when there are no vehicle paths.

Dimon

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 05:54:37 pm »
Very few ADE/AFCADs have their own vehicles' path as most of the designers are just lazy.

What would be an effect of having messy AFCAD/ADE in P3D on GSX? Some crazy vehicle's movement (I can live with that) OR crash of P3D (this is what I can't tolerate)

Thanks again

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2015, 06:01:50 pm »
Very few ADE/AFCADs have their own vehicles' path as most of the designers are just lazy.

That's not GSX fault, of course.

But you say you use "custom-made ADE in my P3D", does it mean you made the modifications yourself ? If you took such great pain to improve AI, you can easily take care of vehicles paths, when the original designer has been lazy.

What would be an effect of having messy AFCAD/ADE in P3D on GSX? Some crazy vehicle's movement (I can live with that) OR crash of P3D (this is what I can't tolerate)

As long there are no errors, it's possible that vehicles that comes from away and need to use the AFCAD paths (catering, refueling and follow me) might have trouble reaching the parking and/or arrive late.

Dimon

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2015, 06:04:04 pm »
Yes, I'm admitting that I'm lazy for vehicles paths as I came from FS2004 world where they don't exist ;D Hopefully, one day Oliver will bring back AES to P3D (No offense on GSX or whatsover).

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2015, 06:31:29 pm »
Hopefully, one day Oliver will bring back AES to P3D (No offense on GSX or whatsover).

Having vehicles coming from some place, instead of appearing out of nowhere around you, it's a GSX feature, and of course since it's not a program born in the FS9 era, it has been designed to take advantage of everything FSX has to offer. Which, incidentally, forces the scenery designer to make more realistic AFCADs.

If you took such care to the benefit of AI airplanes, you should give the same attention to AI ground vehicles.