Author Topic: GSX FSX:SE Keybinding messup  (Read 3696 times)

Feoras

GSX FSX:SE Keybinding messup
« on: April 07, 2015, 01:36:13 pm »
Hello everyone,

yesterday I downloaded GSX to try it out. During that I encountered a problem that messes up my whole keybindings of my controller. Not sure if this is already known but just in case I wanted to report that. This only happened after/during GSX is running, never before.

Setup:
Win 7 64bit, FSX:SE latest version, GSX (in trial mode) latest version (downloaded everything during installation), USB Controller

What happens?
My keybindings of my controller are getting re-assigned. Or better said: to my currently keybindings the default keybindings are added. That means that my buttons have 2 functionalities (my assigned one and the default ones) - which ends in pure chaos :D

When does it happen?
At some random point - or at latest when I click on "Add-ons -> Couatl-powered products -> Key Mappings"

How?
I found out that the Standard.xml in "%APPDATA%\Microsoft\FSX\Controls\" is getting changed at that point. At first I though that obviously the keybining is added. But then I noticed that ctrl+f12 is already working before the change of the Standard.xml - as well I can find no ctrl+f12 setting inside this xml file. I found out that 3 completely new mappings for my controller were added in the xml. That's all that I could figure out at this point.

Is this a known problem? I had a backup of my xml file so after replacing this everything works fine again - until some point when GSX runs.

Regards,
Feoras

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: GSX FSX:SE Keybinding messup
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 01:59:46 pm »
GSX doesn't change any of the FSX default keys, nor it tries to change the Standard.xml file. If you found this has been changed, it hasn't been changed by GSX.

GSX only use the official, standard, SDK-sanctioned way of requesting keys usign Simconnect, it doesn't modify ANY of the default FSX files, and it stores the key mapping configuration it has obtained by FSX in its own .INI file, which is totally unrelated to FSX.

Instead, it's a *known* issue that, using Windows 8.1, the default controllers sometimes change for no reason.

There was already a discussion here a while ago:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,10997.msg85017.html#msg85017

An user said it was fixed by using a different gamepad, the other user that participated in that discussion didn't came back to report further testing result, so there was no proof this could be related in any way to GSX.

As I've said, GSX doesn't try to change keys directly in any way.

An *indirect* cause, that was discussed in that thread, might just be due to the fact that when you open the GSX "Key mapping" menu,a dialog is being created by an external .EXE, and this is triggering some kind of FSX bug in the assignment.

In this case, any other 3rd party addon that runs as an external .exe, and would allow to remap keys, would probably cause the same problem.

Have you tried to the new Couatl 3 Public Beta here ? Do you see any differences ?

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,11796.0.html

Feoras

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 02:46:32 pm »
Hello,

okay after reading that I did some testing, not sure if any of that is helpful to you but I will let you know my results:

It might not be GSX per se - maybe couatl or the addon manager?

I was flying some years ago but only recently (a week ago) started again with FSX:SE on my computer. So I don't really have any addons installed (FSUPIC, SimConnect, 2 Aircrafts - but I used the standard Aircrafts during testing, G-Plan (was not running), and 2 Sceneries).

I downloaded and installed couatl 3 Public Beta - same behavior (though the cars/animation/people were lagging quite a lot. Like moving if they had 1 FPS or less).

So I decided to deinstall all again (GSX, Couatl, Addon Manager). Let the game run for around half an hour - and the problem did not occur again (it usually appeared within the first 5 minutes or at last when going into that menu while GSX was installed).

Then I installed GSX again (using the full installer from the website - also installs addon manager and couatl). And it happened again. I found out that under "Settings - Controls" a whole new controller was added which hasn't been there before.

As fun note, your ground crew seem to have way superior ground training.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 03:29:22 pm »
It might not be GSX per se - maybe couatl or the addon manager?

It's neither.

Then I installed GSX again (using the full installer from the website - also installs addon manager and couatl). And it happened again. I found out that under "Settings - Controls" a whole new controller was added which hasn't been there before.

Have you read both my previous explanation AND the linked thread ?

A possible explanation, is that FSX has a bug that, when an external module that runs as an external .exe displays a dialog (the key mapping dialog, but it's possible that any dialog might have the same result), the controls are being changed.

Again, this might be possibly caused with any other 3rd party addon that does that but, if you don't have any other 3rd party addons that run as external .exe files that display their own dialog, you might have not notice it, if the only one that works like that is GSX, you are mislead thinking it was some kind of GSX bug just because it goes away if you uninstall it, but it's not.

As I've said, since only 2 users ever reported it before, it doesn't seem to be as simple as just being caused by GSX/Couatl, but maybe there are other additional issues specific to your system.

Feoras

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 03:51:56 pm »
I'm using a wired XBox Controller (not wireless).

Do you know any other 3rd party addon that runs as external .exe file and display their own dialogs so that I could test if that behavior would show up there as well?
Or if there is anything else I could test let me know.

Guess there's no way then to solve this issue despite if FSX:SE would get a patch  :-\ Thanks for the help though.

Edit:
If I open "FSUIP" or "Addon-Manager" under Add-ons (and both seem to open a own dialog box) my keybinds are not gettings messed up. Only if I open any window from couatl.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 04:03:20 pm by Feoras »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 06:42:13 pm »
I'm using a wired XBox Controller (not wireless).

From the other thread, it was concluded that Wired or Wireless doesn't make a difference in this specific issue.

If I open "FSUIP" or "Addon-Manager" under Add-ons (and both seem to open a own dialog box) my keybinds are not gettings messed up. Only if I open any window from couatl.

Both the FSUIPC and the Addon Manager are .DLL modules that runs INTERNAL to FSX.

As I've said in my previous message, a possible explanation, is that FSX has a bug that, when an EXTERNAL module that runs as an external .DLL displays a dialog, FSX loses its controls somehow.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 09:48:14 pm by virtuali »

Feoras

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 08:18:48 pm »
Oh well in that case there's probably no fix for that issue then :(

Sorry for the hassle and thanks for the help