Author Topic: I would like to use GSX but I can't get it to work any more  (Read 2930 times)

sapstar

I would like to use GSX but I can't get it to work any more
« on: April 05, 2015, 06:06:12 pm »
GSX is a great product and does just what I want but the over head of trying to reinstall it makes it too difficult.  My copy stopped working, I think it may have something to do with installing Malwarebytes but I cannot be sure.  I have been through the uninstall, virus checkers off, reinstall cycle two or three times and no joy.  Neither the scripting engine or the add on manager appear in my addons menu now though they used to be there.  I have done all the checking short of reinstalling the C++ 2005 libraries, last time I did that I ended up rebuilding windows and FSX from scratch, not a level of pain it want to experience again.  I really need some help getting this software working again or I'll just stop using it and put it down to being a bad purchase of some rather flaky code, which would be a shame.  Needless to say the rest of the sim is working perfectly.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: I would like to use GSX but I can't get it to work any more
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2015, 06:13:05 pm »
I have done all the checking short of reinstalling the C++ 2005 libraries

Well, the missing/corrupted libraries are one of the most likely cause (excluding a bugged antivirus), so you should have tried that. And no, fixing the libraries doesn't require reinstalling FSX at all, in the worse case you will need an FSX "Repair" option, not a reinstall.

But this is old information. The current version of the Addon Manager doesn't require the VC++ 2005 runtimes, but the VC++ 2013 ones, which might be or not already installed in your system but, since this is downloaded automatically by any of the installers, if you run an OLD version of our installers, and you don't have the VC++ 2013 runtimes installed in your system, it won't work so, you can do one of the following:

- Download and install the Stand-Alone Addon Manager for FSX, which now contains and install the VC++ 2013 runtimes

OR

- Download and install the VC++ 2013 runtimes from Microsoft

OR

- Download and install the latest version of the full installer of the FSDT product you are trying to reinstall, because they are all being updated to install the VC++ 2013 runtimes too. This might be a bit overkill, but it will work too.

sapstar

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2015, 06:19:29 pm »
Thanks, I'll give the third option a go, I'm all for a bit of overkill.  I assume I need to go through the uninstall, virus checker off, install, virus checker on routine. Thanks for the quick response.  Sometimes reading the support forums doest actually give you good information though I do try and only look at newer posts.

sapstar

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 03:49:31 pm »
Hi Virtuali
The download from the web site and reinstall worked just fine, didn't have to re enter the key or anything.  You were right I didn't have C++2013 and now I do.  GSX seems to be working now though I have only tested a pushback on a Dash 8 at EGCC. I did have to change the standard key mappings, no idea what happening to Ctl F12 etc but they are not activating GSX but that's not a problem, I think I am going to move the activation off the keyboard any way. Thanks for coming up with the correct solution so quickly, wish I had posted the message earlier, I've been struggling with trying to make GSX work for some months.

As a point of interest I am using UK2000 scenery and the pushback left me on the grass way to the right of the taxi line, why would this happen I thought GSX followed the yellow lines?

Regards
Malcolm

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 06:46:01 pm »
As a point of interest I am using UK2000 scenery and the pushback left me on the grass way to the right of the taxi line, why would this happen I thought GSX followed the yellow lines?

GSX doesn't follow the yellow lines. It follows the scenery AFCAD in use. Whether this matches the visible yellow lines in this scenery, depends how the scenery is made.

With default sceneries, you are 100% sure they match, because the yellow lines are being created by the data in the AFCAD. With 3rd party sceneries, which might use custom textures, it's not guaranteed they'll match, it's up to the scenery developer.

Assuming, of course, the correct AFCAD is in use by GSX ( you can check this with the GSX scenery customization page ), and the AFCAD used doesn't have errors/problems, like missing nodes, etc., which will cause issues to GSX.