Author Topic: Easy way of enabling/disabling sceneries in Scenery Library  (Read 2197 times)

kaspern83

Easy way of enabling/disabling sceneries in Scenery Library
« on: March 21, 2015, 04:04:35 am »
I am having huge issues with Vas usage in P3D. To save on VAS, I am trying to disable any unnecessary sceneries from loading into memory. I have never had issues with any airports except the ones that use Couatl and when I re-enable a certain scenery I get missing building etc.. Is there a way to do this without the hassle of reinstalling add-on manager? Or exiting the sim after re-enabling a certain scenery? (I am not sure which one works)

Thank you for any help

cmpbllsjc

• Beta tester
Re: Easy way of enabling/disabling sceneries in Scenery Library
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 09:07:10 am »
No need to disable FSDT sceneries as they won't load into memory when not flying into their area. Read this post from Umberto explaining that.

As an addition to that, I'd say that, of all sceneries you have, the FSDT ones are probably the ones that you might keep always enabled.

This because, due to the fact that we have about 80% of the scenery NOT in .BGL format, but created programmatically on the fly ONLY when you fly in the airport range AND explicitly destroyed when you fly outside the range, it's guaranteed that their VAS consumption happens only if you use them and the memory is reclaimed if you go away from their range.

You don't risk having KLAX loaded while you are at KLAS, which CAN happen, instead, for every other scenery that uses .BGL entirely, so they are in the hands of FSX memory management and bugs.

On top of that, having so few .BGL files (we have some .BGLs, for things like mesh, AFCAD, etc.), we contribute very little to the growth of the overall .BGL directory and boundaries caches, while another scenery with many .BGLs in its scenery folder, has a larger footprint on it, so it would make more sense to disable it when not in use.