Author Topic: FSX.cfg entries  (Read 3413 times)

skywreck

FSX.cfg entries
« on: January 03, 2015, 01:56:19 pm »
I have noticed that my FSX.cfg is altered with additional entries such as a specific FSDREAMTEAM section,bufferpools, affinity mask, etc when using FSDreamteam airports and that such settings are customisable in the Addon Manager. However I only want to run FSX with default FSX.cfg  and 3 specific tweaks, namely HIGHMEMFIX=1, WideViewAspect=True and TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=1024, that's it.

Is there any way to stop FSDreamteam from altering my settings permanently?

Thanks and regards

Joaquin Blanco

Intel Core i7 4790K Haswell overlocked to 4.4GHz, Corsair Hydro Series H75 Liquid Cooler, Asus Z97-K Motherboard, 16GB Corsair/Crucial/Samsung PC3-12800 1600MHz DDR3, GeForce GTX 970 4GB, 250GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD, Seagate 2000GB SSHD Hybrid.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: FSX.cfg entries
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2015, 08:22:51 pm »
However I only want to run FSX with default FSX.cfg  and 3 specific tweaks, namely HIGHMEMFIX=1, WideViewAspect=True and TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=1024, that's it.

This is really a FAQ, which has been discussed many times on the forum.

If don't see a tweak, it doesn't mean you running FSX without it. If a setting in the FSX.CFG is not there, FSX WILL use a default value for it anyway, it will not just "forget" about the tweak so, even if you think you are running FSX with "no tweaks", they are there, with their default values.

It would be best if we start calling it "setting", not "tweak", because the tweak name suggest is something you "add" to FSX, but it's not. All settings you see there, ARE used by FSX, even if you remove them from the FSX.CFG, it's just that FSX will internally use a default value which is, guess what, what the Addon Manager defaults to, except in a couple cases when it was universally acknowledged the proposed value was better than the default one.

Also, the settings presented in the Addon Manager are READ from your EXISTING FSX.CFG, the only time when something is "altered" by the Addon Manager, is when you press, in sequence, the "Default" button AND then the "Save to FSX" button.

Note that, default values, both of "tweaks" that are normally present in the FSX.CFG and tweaks that are not there by default (but they are used anyway ) have changed between FSX, FSX SP1 and FSX SP2, and many informations out there about what their default values are supposed to be, are not consistent. We took our informations about how they work from posts by the former FSX SP2 product manager, Phil Taylor, that posted their meanings and their default values on his blog a while ago after the FSX SP2 (that we worked on too) was released.

But in all other cases, those tweaks are YOUR tweaks, just editable in a graphical way.

Is there any way to stop FSDreamteam from altering my settings permanently?

"Fsdreamteam" is NOT altering your settings. YOU are altering them, by pressing the "Save to FSX" button! Nothing is changed in your FSX.CFG, until you press that button.

And of course, anything under the [Fsdreamteam] section, is totally ignored by FSX.