Author Topic: Default keys not working  (Read 9847 times)

Martyjr

Default keys not working
« on: December 04, 2014, 11:30:29 pm »
I just purchased GSX.

CTRL + F12 does nothing in FSX or P3Dv2.4 and it is not assigned in FSX or P3D v2.4.

But SHIFT + F does work. Like FSDT is trapping the call fuel truck ....?

Also SHIFT + CTRL + ALT + F12 does work ( per the Coualt Keys drop down menu  default assignments).
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
key mappings
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2014, 10:17:38 am »
I just purchased GSX.

CTRL + F12 does nothing in FSX or P3Dv2.4 and it is not assigned in FSX or P3D v2.4.

If you are missing the "Addon Manager" and the "Couatl powered products" menu under the "Addons" menu, this has been discussed many times on the forum, and it's a result of an incomplete P3D installation, and it's solved this way:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,10084.msg79077.html#msg79077

Martyjr

key mappings
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2014, 12:08:30 pm »
Addon Manager" and the "Couatl powered products" menu under the "Addons" menu are all ok after installing GSX v1.9 in FSX and P3D v2.4.

I did 3 screenshots to show GSX keyboard keys:

Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
key mappings
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2014, 12:22:31 pm »
It's quite clear, from your screenshot, the mistake you made.

The keymapping clearly indicates that GSX key is assigned to CTRL+Shift+F12 so, why you pressed CTRL+F12 ? Yes, of course the manual tells you that BY DEFAULT, is CTRL+F12 but, as indicated in your screenshot, YOU changed the CTRL+F12 to read CTRL+ALT+F12, so it's fairly obvious why CTRL+F12 doesn't work: is not assigned to anything!

BOTH CTRL+F12 and CTRL+Shift+F12 are assigned by default to GSX

- CTRL+Shift+F12 is to call GSX directly, bypassing an eventual YouControl menu, which usually appears only with FSDT sceneries, so that's a shortcut to call GSX on a FSDT scenery.

- CTRL+F12 works just the same, with the only difference that on an FSDT airport, you'll have to go through an additional menu step, that's whey we have the above "shortcut"

But since you have assigned what is normally assigned to CTRL+F12 to be CTRL+ALT+F12 instead, it doesn't work if you press (obviously) CTRL+F12, since you reassigned it.

And, it wouldn't work the same even if you pressed CTRL+ALT+F12, because the ALT key is reserved by the sim to open its main menu, so you can't use ALT.  If you REALLY wanted to redefine the YouControl/GSX key, you cannot use the ALT key.

If, instead, you redefined it by mistake, and wanted to use CTRL+F12, just put it back to CTRL+F12, as it was by default.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 12:26:04 pm by virtuali »

Martyjr

Re: Default keys not working
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2014, 02:03:24 pm »
"YOU changed the CTRL+F12 to read CTRL+ALT+F12, so it's fairly obvious why CTRL+F12 doesn't work: is not assigned to anything!"
No, my screenshots are of my first (and current) GSX install ... nothing has been edited/changed.
I put a text note in the screenshot to tell you that.

I have not changed a keyboard assignment in FSDT, GSX or anywhere else in FSX or P3D ......... for a long time.

I installed GSX 1.9

I could not figure out how to get it working.

I searched the internet and this FSDT forum.
I learned that CTRL + F12 should work.
But I also seen many posts on the FSDT forum about various problems with getting GSX to start with CTRL + F12.

Anyway, CTRL + F12 did not work to get GSX up in my FSX or P3D setup.

By chance, I just tried calling a fuel truck .. SHIFT + F (and I had to check my notes to verify how to do that).

Guess what?

I got the GSX menu.

At this point I did not know a keyboard assignment for GSX could be changed!

So, now I read the manual.
It also said CTRL + F12 will call up GSX.

Everything in my previous screenshots is as it was on my fresh install of GSX ... I have not set up any keyboard keys.
As a matter of fact, I never tried to change a GSX assignment. I do not know how to do it.

Instead I just posted here in the forum.

Bottom line ... for me, on a fresh install of GSX, CTRL + F12 does not work.

And, why does SHIFT + F call GSX?

« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 02:05:20 pm by Martyjr »
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2014, 02:37:26 pm »
I have not changed a keyboard assignment in FSDT, GSX or anywhere else in FSX or P3D ......... for a long time.

Yes, you have, but since you said yourself it was a "long time", you must have forgot this. Your preferences are NOT removed or reset if you uninstall GSX so, even if you did this a long time ago, unless you reinstalled Windows in the meantime, that preference file would still be there from your past installation.

I searched the internet and this FSDT forum. I learned that CTRL + F12 should work.

Yes, but not if you change this with the key mapping menu. That's the whole point of having that menu in the first place: to allow you to CHANGE the key so, you must expect it *would* change...

But I also seen many posts on the FSDT forum about various problems with getting GSX to start with CTRL + F12.

All those posts don't have anything to do with your problem, they are almost invariably related to the fact that GSX is NOT WORKING, so they are not just missing the GSX menu after pressing the CTRF+F12 key, they are ALSO missing the "Addon Manager" and/or the "Couatl powered products" menu,

Anyway, CTRL + F12 did not work to get GSX up in my FSX or P3D setup.

Because you changed it, so it's normal it wouldn't work.

By chance, I just tried calling a fuel truck .. SHIFT + F (and I had to check my notes to verify how to do that).

Guess what?

I got the GSX menu.

That's normal, and it's to be expected.

At this point I did not know a keyboard assignment for GSX could be changed!

It's obviously explained in the manual.

So, now I read the manual.

So now you know that you can change that key.

It also said CTRL + F12 will call up GSX.

No, it says that key is what is used BY DEFAULT, and since it also explains that you can change it, you can't expect the default key would STILL work after it has been changed.

Everything in my previous screenshots is as it was on my fresh install of GSX ... I have not set up any keyboard keys.

Yes, you have, likely with an old installation. There's no such thing as a "fresh" installation, because your custom preferences are NOT trashed when uninstalling/reinstalling, and that's obviously correct (would you like the uninstall/reinstall would destroy all your customizations ? Surely not )

As a matter of fact, I never tried to change a GSX assignment. I do not know how to do it.

You did, but you forget about it. And if you read the manual, you should now how to do it now.

Bottom line ... for me, on a fresh install of GSX, CTRL + F12 does not work.

That's because yours wasn't a "fresh" install. You must have installed it in the past, changed the key to use ALT, and forget about it. There's no question about it.

And, why does SHIFT + F call GSX?

Because GSX IS WORKING!! Since one of the services is the refueling, it's assumed you don't want to use the default FSX fuel anymore, so GSX intercepts the default fuel key, and will replace the feature with its own.

Your GSX is working perfectly, what is not working, is the *default* CTRL+F12 key, because you changed it, that's it.

Now, to prove you that a "fresh" GSX installation will set the CTRL+F12 key correctly, just do this:

- Go into the %APPDATA%\Virtuali folder

- Remove the Couatladdons.ini file

- Reinstall GSX.

After the installation, you'll see the default GSX has been correctly set as being CTRL+F12, because if there's no Coautladdons.ini file, a NEW one will be created from scratch with all default settings.

Instead, in your case, since there was already a Couatladdons.ini file, that set a different default key, it wasn't recreated with the GSX installation, and the only possible reason you already had a Couatladdons.ini file with a different key set, it's because you changed it in a previous GSX installation, not matter how old it was, as long you haven't reinstalled Windows in the meantime.

Martyjr

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2014, 02:43:39 pm »
I just now looked in my folder:
C:\Users\vaughan\AppData\Roaming\Virtuali

Guess what?

I see a file named KeyMapping.ini dated 7-26-2013

That would be your default stuff ... correct?

I posted a screenshot here of the file dates and its contents.

Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2014, 03:02:50 pm »
I just now looked in my folder:
C:\Users\vaughan\AppData\Roaming\Virtuali

Guess what?

I see a file named KeyMapping.ini dated 7-26-2013

That would be your default stuff ... correct?

I posted a screenshot here of the file dates and its contents.

That's not only confirms what I've said, but it also give us a date of WHEN you originally installed GSX. That file is created after you install GSX for the first time with default settings, but if you change anything, it will be changed to store your preferences.

As I've said, it will NOT changed or removed if you Uninstall GSX so, even if you though this one was a "fresh" installation, your old preferences file was still there.

As I've said, a "fresh" Couatladdons.ini file with DEFAULT settings will be created ONLY if there's no file, which is the only real fresh "situation".

As I've said, if you REMOVE that file, you'll have proof that a new one, with DEFAULT settings will be created, which will contain the default key assignment. The old one you get from your GSX installation of the last year, didn't contained default settings for the keys, because you changed them, and it was entirely correct the installer wouldn't try to touch it.

Try it now. Remove the file, and you'll see a new one with default keys will be created.

Martyjr

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2014, 03:33:31 pm »
"The old one you get from your GSX installation of the last year, didn't contained default settings for the keys, because you changed them, and it was entirely correct the installer wouldn't try to touch it."

Ok, I do not recall from a year ago.

And I just figured purchasing now and installing would set all defaults per the manual.
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell

Martyjr

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2014, 03:53:27 pm »
"As I've said, if you REMOVE that file, you'll have proof that a new one, with DEFAULT settings will be created"

Ok, I will do this:
after I remove Couatladdons.ini file ..........

Do I have to uninstall / reinstall anything or just "Install GSX" and start FSX again?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 03:57:11 pm by Martyjr »
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2014, 03:58:47 pm »
And I just figured purchasing now and installing would set all defaults per the manual

As I've said, that's your preferences file, and it's not removed when uninstalling or reinstalling. The only time when a new one is created with default settings, it's when there isn't one.

It's standard practice NOT to remove USER preference files when uninstalling/reinstalling, surely not without asking or presenting an appropriate option.

Do I have to uninstall / reinstall anything or just start FSX again?

I think if you remove the file, a new one should be created just the same when you restart FSX.

Martyjr

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2014, 04:29:36 pm »
Ok,

It worked. Now I have the true defaults.
I had to delete both the key mapping ini and the Coualt addons ini files then restart FSX
Then it made a new key ini

[global]
youcontrol=Ctrl+F12
[GSX]
shortcut=Shift+Ctrl+F12
[ParkMe]
parkingcontrol=ctrl+shift+P

Also my CoualtAddons.ini was changed from:
[gsx]
refueling_time_min = 15.0
deboarding_time_min = 15.0
refueling_time_factor = 0.0022
slowdown_speed_knots = 7.5
deboarding_time_factor = 0.1
straight_pushback_meters = 100
parking_editor_sash = 150
waiting_msg_delay = 10.0
followme_speed_knots = 18
ui_verbosity = 2
boarding_time = 0
ui_volume = 10
disable = 0
disable_on_airports = NONE
parking_editor_width = 844
boarding_time_min = 15.0
boarding_time_factor = 0.2
parking_editor_height = 631
deboarding_time = 0
refueling_time = 0

[liveupdate]
major_version_installed = "8401cb-4-508e062de8500"
live_version_ignore = "84342c-9c749-5094faa132100"
live_version_installed = "84342c-9c749-5094faa132100"
last_check = 1417719608.98
major_version_ignore = "8401cb-4-508e062de8500"

[parkme]
disable = 1

[common]
audiovolume = 1.0
audiodevice = Generic Software on Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)

TO:
[liveupdate]
live_version_ignore = "84342c-9c749-5094faa132100"
major_version_installed = "8401cb-4-508e062de8500"
major_version_ignore = "8401cb-4-508e062de8500"
live_version_installed = "84342c-9c749-5094faa132100"
last_check = 1417792923.55

[common]

Is this ok?

Edit:
I just kept the new key ini file and restored my old Coualt addons ini file
Looks ok.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 04:52:27 pm by Martyjr »
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2014, 06:20:13 pm »
It worked. Now I have the true defaults. I had to delete both the key mapping ini and the Coualt addons ini files then restart FSX. Then it made a new key ini

That's what I was expecting it to do.

Is this ok?

Of course it is. It has been regenerated by the program: you think the program could generate a "wrong" file ?

I just kept the new key ini file and restored my old Coualt addons ini file

Yes, that would be ok too, so you can keep your other preferences.

As long as the files are not edited manually, and you use only the GSX Settings menu to change them, there's no risk they would end up being "wrong", unless of course you tell them to do something that will surely not work like, for example, assigning a key reserved for something else in FSX. The ALT key, in this case...

Martyjr

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2014, 06:37:21 pm »
Ok,

Thanks for your help on this topic.
And your great products.
And your great support.
And have a good day!
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell