Author Topic: Customizing Pushback direction  (Read 6882 times)

DLH457

Customizing Pushback direction
« on: November 28, 2014, 04:41:20 pm »
First of all, the new version of GSX is outstanding! It is working perfectly and allows much more customization which is great!
My question is is there some way to customize which direction the aircraft faces when the pushback is completed? I am at SSJ KPHL and pushing BAW 777 off of position A17 and I customized the pushback to Lat 39.87254 and Long -75.24994 which is in the real world called "Spot 4" in Philly. Only thing is, when the pushback is completed I am stuck with my nose facing the terminal, whereas the real pushback should drop me at the Aircraft Release Point which has the nose pointing perpendicular to Taxiway J. This youtube video shows the type of pushback I am talking about in Philly.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Customizing Pushback direction
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, 06:27:26 pm »
You have to understand the custom pushback nodes are not used to just specify an ending point, because that information wouldn't tell enough about the path followed. They act as "attractors" for the program to fit a Bezier curve that will align the airplane with the last part of the path. The airplane will not necessarily reach the attractor point, it will just move enough to clear the last point and end up aligned with the last section of the path.

I downloaded the scenery and had a look at it. It's possible to do what you asked, in two different ways, one that uses the AFCAD that comes with the scenery as it is, and another one that requires adding a new node.

See the attached screenshot, the Blue path will use the existing AFCAD node, while the Red path will require to add a new node (the one highlighted in yellow) connected to the place you need to be at the end.

The first solution is easier, and will put you at a slight angle with the airplane release point. The second solution will require editing the AFCAD file, and will result in the pushback truck doing a fairly complex job since the mathematics over a curve so tight is quite tricky, but it can do it, and you'll end up more aligned with the desired point. The secret was to have the line connecting the new node with the desired one to be aligned with the final heading desired.

Of course, since GSX allows to specify two custom paths for each parking, nobody stops you to add both solutions (and the AFCAD changes), and have them presented as 1st and 2nd option in the pushback menu.

NOTE: due to a bug we are working on right now, you MUST select "restart Couatl" from the Couatl menu if you make a change to the Scenery Customization dialog, otherwise the pushback won't work.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 06:38:27 pm by virtuali »

DLH457

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2014, 07:26:34 pm »
Fixed! thanks for the help!

normandean

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2014, 09:24:58 am »
Thanks for that tip, Umberto, I have already used a variation of this with a remote node, but not for turning through acute angles.

It may be connected, but I have a problem in trying to get the de-ice vehicles to follow the routes away from the aircraft, at some spots, and I can't see any special reason why. One de-icer departs back to parking through adjacent aircraft,, not following the vehicle route and the second one backs up from the aircraft, but doesn't go further. The aircraft will not then push back. Is this likely to be due to the path away being at the wrong angle, as other vehicles behave normally. As there is no direct control over the de-ice trucks could this be overcome by using a detached node, as in this case?

Norman

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2014, 09:59:55 am »
De-icers are a bit different than pushback, because they don't use the same method (pushback is more precise), but a combination of a preset path when they are around the airplane, which changes into a path over the AFCAD nodes after then cleared the airplane.

Since what you are reporting doesn't happen here, it must be a specific of the AFCAD used so, I cannot give you any help without checking it. Or, at least, identify the scenery and the gate used.

normandean

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2014, 11:38:56 am »
Hi Umberto, thank you for responding so quickly. I attach a jpg to show the situation. The blue line is the arrival track for both de-icers, the red track departure for de-icer A and the green track for de-icer B.

Norman

Paavo

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2014, 10:16:41 pm »
Pushback customization is indeed great. With regard to pushback direction, is there any hope to see "pull" feature?

See the attached chart excerpt from EETN. From gates A5 and A7, aircraft are first pushed back, then turned nose 90 degrees to the left and after that pulled forward to abeam A9, to leave room for jetblast. Similiar kind of push-turn-pull procedure is used at many other airports, too.

I played around with the Left/Right configuration options, but apparently both of them push the aircraft to the entered node tail first.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2014, 11:20:14 am »
Pushback customization is indeed great. With regard to pushback direction, is there any hope to see "pull" feature?

There's no "pull" right now, but it might appear in future versions.

See the attached chart excerpt from EETN. From gates A5 and A7, aircraft are first pushed back, then turned nose 90 degrees to the left and after that pulled forward to abeam A9, to leave room for jetblast. Similiar kind of push-turn-pull procedure is used at many other airports, too.

I played around with the Left/Right configuration options, but apparently both of them push the aircraft to the entered node tail first.

I think the closest thing you can try there, is to add some additional nodes, perhaps setting their links with a weight of 0 (so AI won't use them), see the screenshot. I made a test with the AFCAD that comes with Drzewiecki Design Tallin X, it will result in the airplane in the right position, although a bit skewed.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 11:22:21 am by virtuali »