Author Topic: GSX ini file  (Read 7677 times)

Martyjr

GSX ini file
« on: December 04, 2014, 05:02:24 pm »
I just purchased GSX .. so reading and testing a'lot.

The GSX ini file.

I am testing various FSX and and P3D v2.4 applications every day.

I want to get rid of the long Regenerating Airport Cache wait when I switch to P3D to test other (non GSX) applications.

So I read the manual and discovered the INI file settings.

So I disabled GSX.

But naturally, that disabled GSX in FSX and P3D.
Not what I wanted .. still want it working in FSX.

So, any GSX custom ini changes (aircraft / parking etc) will apply to both P3D and FSX?

Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: GSX ini file
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 05:06:50 pm »
So, any GSX custom ini changes (aircraft / parking etc) will apply to both P3D and FSX?

Of course, it wouldn't make much sense to have two copies of your own preferences, so you would then have to remember to keep them in sync each time you change something in one sim.

We are working to add independent caches between the two sims, though.

Martyjr

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 05:25:50 pm »
"it wouldn't make much sense to have two copies of your own preferences"

I was thinking fsx could have an updated airport (afcad) / scenery and P3D may not have an updated versions ... so parking e.g. could be unique to each.

I would be good to be able to disable GSX in FSX or P3D (or both as it is now).

Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2014, 11:49:37 am »
I was thinking fsx could have an updated airport (afcad) / scenery and P3D may not have an updated versions ... so parking e.g. could be unique to each.

Why you would to keep the scenery P3D intentionally outdated ?

If you have a special reason to do so, just change the name of the AFCAD in one of the two sim, so you can maintain two separate GSX .INI files for each one. I can't see why you want to do this, but GSX supports this, because each .INI file is tied to the AFCAD it was based on.

I would be good to be able to disable GSX in FSX or P3D (or both as it is now).

It wouldn't make any sense to disable GSX "just" to save on the cache regeneration time, and of course after we'll add support for two independent caches, there wouldn't be any reason for such option anymore, so there's no need to add it now.

And of course, you can disable GSX in P3D in a different way: just rename the P3D\fsdreamteam\Couatl\GSX folder to something else, like GSX_DISABLED, so it won't start.

Martyjr

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2014, 12:46:45 pm »
"Why you would to keep the scenery P3D intentionally outdated ? "
I would not, but sometimes it cannot be avoided.

Here is one example.

For FSX:
I purchased KCLE for FSX and it has current runways, taxiways and parking.

For P3D:
I have to use default KCLE which has old runways 6C/24C, taxiways and parking still in use.

1. GSX will be unique to each KCLE (which are different for FSX and P3D) ... parking, taxiways etc .... correct?

"If you have a special reason to do so, just change the name of the AFCAD in one of the two sim, so you can maintain two separate GSX .INI files for each one. I can't see why you want to do this, but GSX supports this, because each .INI file is tied to the AFCAD it was based on.
"

" you can maintain two separate GSX .INI files"

2. Where are these two ini files located?

"It wouldn't make any sense to disable GSX "just" to save on the cache regeneration time, and of course after we'll add support for two independent caches, there wouldn't be any reason for such option anymore, so there's no need to add it now."

Ok, sounds good to me.

"And of course, you can disable GSX in P3D in a different way: just rename the P3D\fsdreamteam\Couatl\GSX folder to something else, like GSX_DISABLED, so it won't start."

Ok, will do.

Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2014, 01:48:00 pm »
For FSX:
I purchased KCLE for FSX and it has current runways, taxiways and parking.

For P3D:
I have to use default KCLE which has old runways 6C/24C, taxiways and parking still in use.

1. GSX will be unique to each KCLE (which are different for FSX and P3D) ... parking, taxiways etc .... correct?

Yes, if the AFCAD name in the two sim is different.

" you can maintain two separate GSX .INI files"

2. Where are these two ini files located?

There aren't two ini files, by default. If you started you customizations already, you have a GSX.INI file in the %APPDATA%\Virtuali\GSX folder, with the ICAO and other random characters appended.

You can do a copy of it, and rename it as you like, as long the first 4 characters are the ICAO code of the airport. Then, edit the .INI file with notepad, and search for the AFCAD name in the [General] section. Change the name to the name of the renamed AFCAD in the P3D version of the scenery, so GSX will know which .INI file depending on the AFCAD name in use.

Martyjr

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2014, 02:19:31 pm »
"There aren't two ini files, by default."

Right.

I only see one ini file named CoualtAddons.ini

So, I do not have any custom stuff yet.

Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2014, 02:22:33 pm »
I only see one ini file named CoualtAddons.ini

You are looking at the wrong folder. I said %APPDATA%\Couatl\GSX, not %APPDATA%\Virtuali

So, I do not have any custom stuff yet.

If you don't have the airport in the GSX folder of the %APPDATA%\Virtuali, it means you haven't started customizing yet. In this case, just rename the AFCAD in the P3D installation now, so when you'll start customizing them in GSX, it will create two different .INI files, both starting with the same ICAO code, to be used depending on the AFCAD in use.

Martyjr

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2014, 02:34:56 pm »
"You are looking at the wrong folder. I said %APPDATA%\Couatl\GSX, not %APPDATA%\Virtuali"

I found this one:
C:\Users\vaughan\AppData\Roaming\Virtuali

And this one:
C:\Users\vaughan\AppData\Roaming\Virtuali\GSX

Where is the other one : %APPDATA%\Couatl\GSX?

« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 02:40:13 pm by Martyjr »
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2014, 02:39:40 pm »
Where is the other one?

The GSX folder I was referring to it's created INSIDE the one that contains the Couatladdons.ini file, as I indicated in my previous message. If you don't have one, it means you haven't customized anything yet.