Author Topic: GSX Problem  (Read 3112 times)

bensmini

GSX Problem
« on: November 30, 2014, 08:27:06 pm »
I downloaded the new app and am pleased with the new de-icer function and unlike some have no problem with continuing pushback after its use.

However I have NO  sound, no passenger boarding/deboarding, wing walker pushback communication, nor dr-icer comments.  I have been putting up with the lack of sound for several months and hoped that unistalling/reinstalling GSX for the new feature would see its return.  Didn't happen.

I have checked my GSX settings and they seem to be in order so maybe you guys have the solution to the problem.

Please help, Ben Metcalfe

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: GSX Problem
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2014, 09:00:30 pm »
If you have no GSX sounds at all, it's possible your audio card drivers have a problem with OpenAL, which is what GSX uses to make sounds. You should also check if the audio device is set correctly in GSX.

bensmini

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 09:45:54 pm »
Thanks for your reply,

I don't know what "OpenAL" is and have no idea how to deal with it.  In the past all the these sounds worked although the dialogue with push back seemed to come and go.  Passengers no problem although the audio  warnings about a bad parking job I don't remember if they ever existed.

In reviewing GSX settings under the audio section I find a box that says "device" in the box showing "no audio" with no alternate shown on the arrow selector.

In the comments section below;
     "The audio subsystem seems to be working properly"
     "The following devices will be disabled because they failed to initialize; Generic Software on Speakers (via High Definition Audio)"

I don't understand what the last comment means nor do I know how to deal  with it.

As I said before all this worked before and I have made no changes to my computer system.  What to do??

Ben Metcalfe

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 01:25:20 pm »
In reviewing GSX settings under the audio section I find a box that says "device" in the box showing "no audio" with no alternate shown on the arrow selector.

In the comments section below;"The audio subsystem seems to be working properly"
"The following devices will be disabled because they failed to initialize; Generic Software on Speakers (via High Definition Audio)"

OpenAL is a standard audio library that is used by GSX to create sounds, and it's a very common audio standard with many games, and if there's something wrong with it, like your drivers having a problem/bug or not supporting it correctly, EVERY other game using OpenAL will have audio problems.

These two messages confirms what I've said: it's not a GSX problem, it's a problem with your audio drivers.

The first line is telling the *overall* audio system seems to be fine. However, that doesn't say much: audio on a PC can be made by many different devices, each one with its own driver, like a microphone, a separate audio card, the embedded audio card on the mainboard, an USB headset, etc.

In this case, the device named "High definition audio" hasn't initialized correctly, because of a problem with its driver, so it has been disabled by GSX and, since you don't have any OTHER device that can play sounds ( do you have an USB headset ? Try to see if you can use that one ), the list of selectable audio devices in GSX is empty, since GSX won't even try to use an audio device that reported an error, because that will *likely* result in a serious crash when the first sound will be played.

You can try installing the latest sound drivers from your mainboard (it looks like this is the embedded audio card) or, if you have them already, you can try *uninstall* them, and use the driver that comes with Windows. Sometimes the dedicated driver is better, sometimes it's best to use the default Windows driver, there's no sure solution, you must just try.