Author Topic: Question/Help  (Read 4164 times)

Bob G.

Question/Help
« on: November 23, 2014, 02:13:58 am »
I need some help!!

I just ran the GSX updater from outside of FSX by going to my FSXfolder/fsdreamteam/couatl/couatl_updater.exe and when installing it said it could not install somethings so I downloaded the updater v 2.9.0.24 to the Addon Manager X and ran it for FSX and after doing so my FSX will not start or lounch. All was well before doing this.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks
Bob

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Question/Help
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 10:14:21 am »
You are not supposed to start the Couatl_Updater manually, but of course it won't cause any problem if you do. But if you saw a message about not being able to download something, it might be caused by an antivirus or firewall blocking online access to it, so you must turn if off.

However, this should be fixed by downloading and installing the latest Stand-Alone Addon Manager AND turn off every antivirus and firewall, because that one also needs to download files.

Bob G.

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 05:47:20 pm »
It seem to me that some time back we were told we could manually update GSX from outside of FSX if we wanted to be sure to have the latest updates before starting FSX and a flight by going to are (fsxfolder/fsdreamteam/couatl/Couatl_Updater.exe) and that it's equivalent of doing a manual update inside FSX, has this been done away with and no longer supposed to be done?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 05:51:10 pm »
It seem to me that some time back we were told we could manually update GSX from outside of FSX if we wanted to be sure to have the latest updates before starting FSX and a flight by going to are (fsxfolder/fsdreamteam/couatl/Couatl_Updater.exe) and that it's equivalent of doing a manual update inside FSX, has this been done away with and no longer supposed to be done?

I should have said you are not "normally" supposed to run Couatl_Updater.exe from outside FSX, because it's working perfectly from inside FSX.

But yes, if you don't like to have the Live Update menu and accept the update from inside FSX, and want to be sure you have the latest GSX code BEFORE starting a flight, then yes, you CAN do that, which is why I said this in my previous reply:

"but of course it won't cause any problem if you do."

You reported TWO entirely different issues, the Couat_updater saying that something couldn't be downloaded, and the Stand-Alone Addon Manager installation that results in FSX not starting up anymore.

The Couat_updater saying that something couldn't be downloaded CANNOT cause FSX to not start, because it will ONLY update GSX code so, in the worse case, GSX won't work if something went wrong with the update.

A failed Addon Manager update, instead, MIGHT cause FSX not to start up, possibly because a firewall antivirus might have blocked the update from completing correctly so, in THIS case, the FIRST issue (which is harmless to FSX) might just be an INDICATION of the problem which, in addition to cause the Couatl_updater not downloading everything, is ALSO causing the Stand-Alone Addon Manager to not download something.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 05:56:16 pm by virtuali »

Bob G.

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 05:55:39 pm »
If I understand correctly GSX and the Addon Manager are two different things, but when we update the Addon Manager from your site do we also update GSX at the same time?

Bob G.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 05:57:03 pm »
If I understand correctly GSX and the Addon Manager are two different things, but when we update the Addon Manager from your site do we also update GSX at the same time?

Yes, the Stand-Alone Addon Manager update INCLUDES a GSX update too. But please re-read my reply, because I've added some things to ie.

Bob G.

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 06:11:46 pm »
OK, I have turned off antivirus and re-run the Stand-Alone Addon Manager and everything seems to be ok now, thanks so much for your help as I love the GSX addon!!

It seems to me that if from time to time I just run the updater for the Stand-Alone Addon Manager from you site that I will update both GSX and the Stand-Alone Addon Manager and have all the current changes, yes or no?

Bob G.