Author Topic: The x64 Discussion - P3D  (Read 3056 times)

streichholz

The x64 Discussion - P3D
« on: November 21, 2014, 05:39:06 pm »
Obviously LM is working on a x64 Version of P3D. That's kind of awesome. Now the discussion starts that all Add-Ons we use are useless in a 64-Bit environment.

I'm not sure if this is 100% correct because .bgl files shouldn't be affected at all. Only .dll files should be a problem (Aircraft, Weather Engine,...).

My question now is: Would for example Houston (FSDT) work in a 64-Bit P3D Version?

And: would it be difficult to recompile the new x64 Bit .dlls? I can't imagine that it is a big deal to do, but please feel free to put me right.

I really would read virtualis opinion on this topic.

-Phil

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: The x64 Discussion - P3D
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 10:57:06 am »
We'll surely have to recompile the Addon Manager (at least) in 64 bit. Nobody knows right now how much work will require, and we can't obviously say it now or even test it, because there's no 64 bit host sim we can test on. We'll also need a 64 bit version of the Esellerate engine.

Don't think that sceneries will need to be recompiled and Couatl.exe (which does more than the Addon Manager right now) might even still continue to work as a 32 bit program, since it's an external .exe and it surely won't need so much memory (and it doesn't take away memory from the sim) so, it wouldn't have any benefits, even if it was recompiled in 64 bit, it only needs to communicate with the sim using Simconnect, but that might still work, assuming the move to 64 bit won't affect even Simconnect communication protocols.

But it's very early to discuss this, and it doesn't make any sense to worry right now.

The real question is, considering the attitude towards supporting P3D we always had, do you think it's reasonable to expect we WON'T support a 64 version ?

streichholz

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 12:49:45 pm »
No, I know you guys will support the new P3D Version, I'm pretty sure and I'm not worried about it. :)

I'm asking because a friend and I currently working on a little freeware airfield located in Germany and we discussed if the airport could work without a remake in a 64-bit P3D. And we came to the conclusion that it should work.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 01:58:24 pm »
I'm asking because a friend and I currently working on a little freeware airfield located in Germany and we discussed if the airport could work without a remake in a 64-bit P3D. And we came to the conclusion that it should work.

Most likely, assuming you use code from the FSX/P3D SDK, without using FS8/9 legacy commands.