Author Topic: Problem running GSX in W8.1 and P3D  (Read 7483 times)

chrispalf

Problem running GSX in W8.1 and P3D
« on: January 03, 2015, 08:09:02 pm »
Hi,

I searched and tried all solutions in the forum before posting this. I am running:

W8.1 64 bit With UAC and DEP disabled
AVG Free anti-virus (turned off for install) with P3D and sub-directories excluded from scan
P3D Ver 2.4 

I have 2 issues:

The "Addon Manager" is always reported as outdated and the "Couatl powered products" menu entry in not visible.

No error log file is created in C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Roaming\Virtuali

Please advise what could be wrong, thanks.

Chris

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Problem running GSX in W8.1 and P3D
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2015, 08:10:18 pm »
The "Addon Manager" is always reported as outdated and the "Couatl powered products" menu entry in not visible.

Then you should download and install either the latest Stand-Alone Addon manager, or the latest GSX full installer.

chrispalf

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2015, 08:15:47 pm »
Hello,

Yes I did that when the link took me to your web-site but the problem remains.

I had GSX 1.8 running fine under W7 and P3D 2.3 but after upgrading the W8.1 and 2.4 I have been unable to make it run despite many attempts.

Any other ideas?

Many thanks, Chris

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2015, 08:26:59 pm »
Yes I did that when the link took me to your web-site but the problem remains.

You mean the problem of getting a message of the Addon Manager is outdated ? If yes, then sorry, you haven't done that correctly, since the updated files are automatically downloaded from our site while the installer runs, it's not possible to get outdated files by mistake.

You said you turned off the antivirus and excluded the files from scanning, are you sure you did it correctly ? That might be another possible cause of getting an outdated file by mistake: the antivirus is blocking the installation, so you are still stuck with an older version.

Maybe you have another similar software (anti-spyware, firewall, etc. ) that is still active ?

chrispalf

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2015, 09:07:37 pm »
Yes, even after I update using the stand-alone addon manager I get the message GSX is out dated.

AVG is not that advanced, I don't think its blocking anything ánd I also turned off Winows Firewall and smarn screen filters. There is no other monitoring software.

The couatl.exe version I am running is V 2.0.0.2376 and the addon manager (which loads... ) is 2.9.027.

What condition triggers the "GSX is out dated message?"

I also have FSX-SE installed on the same PC could it be picking something up from there?

Thanks, Chris

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2015, 10:09:38 pm »
Yes, even after I update using the stand-alone addon manager I get the message GSX is out dated.

You said:

The "Addon Manager" is always reported as outdated

So it's not the Addon Manager outdated, it's GSX ? This is still less likely to happen normally, because it means some specific GSX files are outdated. This is not normally possible to happen if you just run the installer, you must have moved/copied files from an old version to get this.

Just install the installer, and don't copy/move/replace any files.

chrispalf

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2015, 06:45:49 am »
Yes, I re-read the thread and I see where I caused the confusion - my apologies.

The Message says:

The Addon 'GSX' is out dated.

Please download and install the latest Stand-Alone Addon Manager

Once you click OK it takes you to: http://www.fsdreamteam.com/products_addonmanager.html - but as I mentioned before I did this but it didn't resolve the issue. I get no errors during installation except the usual patch vehicle one that I always saw with previous versions.

I have not moved or copied any files, I just followed the instructions to install GSX as I did before successfully on W7 platform, with FSX and P3D 2.3. Perhaps the message is due to an un-expected error condition - is there a way to check the specific cause in the source code?

For now I have to conclude GSX does not work with W8.1 and P3D V2.4 as I spent hours following the instructions carefully to try to resolve this.

Thanks, Chris

« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 01:06:30 pm by chrispalf »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2015, 12:03:10 am »
For now I have to conclude GSX does not work with W8.1 and P3D V2.4 as I spent hours following the instructions carefully to try to resolve this.

We don't have any other report of GSX *not* working with Windows 8.1 and P3D 2.4

Do you use or have used the P3D Migration Tool ? If yes, you must turn it off when installing and using a P3D-compliant product like ours.

chrispalf

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2015, 01:45:17 pm »
Yes, I did use it but I turned if off before install.

Suspecting it may cause issues I removed it and FSX-SE from my PC. I then removed GSX, the Add-on manager and couatl engine before trying a clean install using the latest full GSX. The result is still the same, a message to say GSX is out dated. What test condition triggers that, I guess it must be missing files or something - if you could tell me I can see if they are there?

Some additional questions - should the install modify scenery.cfg? I didn't see any additional entries after installation. Also is it possible to have a version that installs without downloading additional files?

Again thanks for the help, I really want to solve this if possible.

Chris

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2015, 08:08:20 pm »
Suspecting it may cause issues I removed it and FSX-SE from my PC. I then removed GSX, the Add-on manager and couatl engine before trying a clean install using the latest full GSX. The result is still the same, a message to say GSX is out dated.

What test condition triggers that, I guess it must be missing files or something - if you could tell me I can see if they are there?

Not missing files, but mixed up files from old and new versions in the same folder.

Some additional questions - should the install modify scenery.cfg? I didn't see any additional entries after installation.

No, it doesn't and it doesn't add any new areas.

Also is it possible to have a version that installs without downloading additional files?

The whole point of downloading files, is to be sure you always get the right files, so what you are reporting simply shouldn't happen.

Try to Uninstall GSX and reply YES to the question "Do you want to remove the Addon Manager ?" and YES to the question "Do you want to remove the Couatl scripting engine?", then reinstall.

chrispalf

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2015, 09:29:20 pm »
I tried that, same result.

As I have removed FSX-SE yesterday and done clean install I thought I would try installing GSX there to see if it was a P3D issue alone so I turned off the AV, firewall and smartscreen filter and installed full GSX.

The Installation progressed completely normally - FSX-SE asked me to run and trust the 2 .dlls but once I started FSX-SE I got exactly the same error message.

One thought, my P3D and FSX-SE are installed on drive F: and are not in the default directories. Could that affect the running in any way?

Thanks, Chris

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2015, 10:35:23 pm »
I really need to check your system directly with Teamviewer. Send me a PM to arrange that.

chrispalf

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2015, 01:49:30 pm »
Great, I would welcome that.

To get prepared do I need to set something up and how do I "PM" you?

I'm is Dubai so GMT+4.

Kind regards, Chris

chrispalf

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2015, 05:42:45 pm »
***FIXED!!!***

I read in another thread that delivering the install under a teamviewer session had resolved a similar issue. That made me wonder if my ISP was blocking access to something so I decided to try the installation under a VPN connection and wham, it worked first time.  :)

I'm based in the United Arab Emirates and have controls on content here, basically every IP address is closed unless its open. It could be that one of you servers inadvertently has an IP address that hasn't been opened.

I'm really pleased I got there in the end, I'm off to enjoy GSX again!

Kind regards, Chris

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2015, 06:30:22 pm »
I'm based in the United Arab Emirates and have controls on content here, basically every IP address is closed unless its open. It could be that one of you servers inadvertently has an IP address that hasn't been opened.

All our servers are working normally, but since we use a 3rd party service to prevent DDos and Spam, it's possible you'll have to use a VPN if you access from certain countries.