Author Topic: couatl error after update today  (Read 4480 times)

krwynn

couatl error after update today
« on: June 23, 2014, 04:20:04 am »
Hello,

couatl v2.0 (build 2358)
panic log started on Sun Jun 22 21:32:27 2014

problem raised by addon <unknown>Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "couatl\KIAD\__init__.py", line 72, in onAppStart
  File "ntpath.py", line 228, in getsize
WindowsError: (3, 'The system cannot find the path specified', u'E:\\Flight Simulator X\\fsx.exes\\SimObjects\\Misc\\FlightBeam_KIAD\\model.main_a\\main_a.MDL')

What I highlighted in red would seem to be an issue if I'm reading it correctly. Everything else in that path is correct.
Freeware Developer - FSX Pompeii Italy and Mount Vesuvius

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: couatl error after update today
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 09:36:20 am »
What I highlighted in red would seem to be an issue if I'm reading it correctly. Everything else in that path is correct.

If FSX is not installed in that path, that seems to indicate your registry keys for FSX are wrong, because they *are* pointing to it, when they shouldn't. Try the free FSX registry repair tool from Flight1:

http://www.flight1.com/view.asp?page=library

krwynn

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 07:33:03 pm »

If FSX is not installed in that path, that seems to indicate your registry keys for FSX are wrong, because they *are* pointing to it, when they shouldn't. Try the free FSX registry repair tool from Flight1:

http://www.flight1.com/view.asp?page=library

I did registry searches for both E:\Flight Simulator X\fsx.exe and had several results. With E:\Flight Simulator X\fsx.exes I had 0 results. Again with E:\Flight Simulator X\fsx.exes\SimObjects\Misc 0 results but with E:\Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Misc I had many.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 09:58:18 pm »
I did registry searches for both E:\Flight Simulator X\fsx.exe and had several results. With E:\Flight Simulator X\fsx.exes I had 0 results. Again with E:\Flight Simulator X\fsx.exes\SimObjects\Misc 0 results but with E:\Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Misc I had many.

As I've said: have you tried the Flight1 FSX registry repair tool ? Check for the trailing backslash in the registry key. On a default FSX installation, the AppPath key should have a trailing slash, like this:

E:\Flight Simulator X\  (in your case, if FSX is installed there)

and NOT like this:

E:\Flight Simulator X

If you are missing the trailing slash, it means a 3rd party product installation has played with your FSX registry key, yes, there are reports of apps doing that, and they cause issues to many different products, not just ours.

Fixing the key manually, or using the Flight1 Registry repair tool, should fix the problem.

krwynn

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2014, 10:15:27 pm »
Everything checked out ok with the searches, in other words everything looks ok. I hesitate to run anything messing with the registry unless there is no other solution. The good news is that while working on scenery today and starting and re-starting fsx a dozen times I haven't had the error again. I threw the error 3 times yesterday after the install but now seems to be fine. Pretty strange. Anyway I wanted to let you know I'm good for now. Thanks for the help. Now that I think about it the only thing I did was reboot this morning. Not sure if that has anything to do with it but can't think of anything else.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 10:51:47 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2014, 10:54:25 pm »
Everything checked out ok with the searches, in other words everything looks ok

You shouldn't search anything. There are just to keys in the registry that contains the FSX path, and they should contain ONLY the path, not the whole filename including FSX.EXE

The key used by GSX to look for the FSX folder, is this one:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\10.0\AppPath

And it should be (in your system) like this:

E:\Flight Simulator X\

and NOT like this:

E:\Flight Simulator X

or, even worse, like this:

E:\Flight Simulator X\FSX.EXE

But if it has gone away now, perhaps you had a product that touched it temporarily for some reason, then it went back to normal again.