Author Topic: Control Panel Uninstall GSX - COUATL Still Has GSX Installed  (Read 5090 times)

downscc

I used Control Panel to uninstall GSX (testing slow load of textures). Next day, I downloaded and purchased both KLAX and PHNL and as they installed I noticed they said that FSX default pushback tractors were backed up and the GSX vehicle installed. After launching FSX, I used the add-on manager to BUY and activate my new locations and flew KIAH to KLAX.  I noticed at KIAH (also your product) that I didn't have a FSX pushback tug.  I opened the COUATL GSX status and selected deactivate, which should have been deactive after the Control Panel uninstall.  To continue, I land at KLAX and all buildings and taxiway lines dissappear and of course there's no push back tug as I leave for PHNL. I have verified with the addon manager that both KLAX and PHNL are active. I have not yet restarted FSX because I am enroute to PHNL from KLAX and don't expect to see buildings or tugs there either.

Advise if using Control Panel to remove GSX was incorrect and where that information might be found. Thanks.

downscc

Re: Control Panel Uninstall GSX - COUATL Still Has GSX Installed
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 01:15:18 am »
Update. Enroute KLAX PHNL I paused FSX saved flight and restarted FSX and loaded flight. On arrival at PHNL your scenery was A-OK but vehicles were missing which resulted in errors when trying to use ParkMe or baggage unload. I then reinstalled GSX using installer (addon manager allowed me to reactivate but that did not reinstall vehicles.

Problem statement in summary:  Unable to remove GSX using control panel uninstall. Next scenery purchase and activation still thinks GSX vehicles are installed when they are not, causing problems with scenery activation. Activating GSX via addon manager does not restore GSX.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 10:01:37 am »
I used Control Panel to uninstall GSX (testing slow load of textures)

You mean slow loading of GSX textures ??? Nobody ever reported this before.

I opened the COUATL GSX status and selected deactivate, which should have been deactive after the Control Panel uninstall.

If GSX is active, just Uninstalling won't deactivate it. This has been explained many times on the forum, and it's obviously intentional: you can uninstall/reinstall an unlimited number of times, but your activation won't ever be touched.  You can even Uninstall FSX completely, the activation will stay.

The only cases when an activation is removed are:

- Change hardware

- Reinstall Windows from scratch

- Use the Deactivate button, that will allow you to transfer your activation to a new system, without consuming an activation.

To continue, I land at KLAX and all buildings and taxiway lines dissappear and of course there's no push back tug as I leave for PHNL.

Do you have BOTH the "Addon Manager" and the "Couatl powered products" under the FSX "Addons" menu ?

Advise if using Control Panel to remove GSX was incorrect and where that information might be found

I'd say that removing GSX was incorrect in any case, if it was "just" because you had slow loading of textures. You should have reported it and we might investigate it.

GSX is a free product for all FSDT sceneries, but you can consider it as required download, if you don't install it, you'll lose several features at our sceneries, such as Docking systems, for example.

But of course, this doesn't have anything to do with missing buildings. GSX is surely not required for the scenery to work at its basic level.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 10:06:25 am »
Problem statement in summary:  Unable to remove GSX using control panel uninstall. Next scenery purchase and activation still thinks GSX vehicles are installed when they are not, causing problems with scenery activation. Activating GSX via addon manager does not restore GSX.

No, the scenery activation is totally unrelated to the presence/absence of GSX. As I've said in my previous message, not having GSX would have the scenery missing some of its feature, but it will still work.

And, don't confuse Installation with Activation, if you uninstall GSX, your activation will stay, that doesn't mean is still installed, but it will also still report as "Active" in the Addon Manager.

If you *really* want to use a scenery without GSX ( not suggested, we assume you have GSX installed with all our sceneries ), do the following:

- Uninstall a scenery and reply YES to the question "Do you want to remove the Couatl scripting engine ?" that is made at the end.

- Reinstall the scenery.

I strongly suggest you, instead, to install GSX, best if you do it AFTER all sceneries are installed, and try to discuss your slow loading textures issue.