Author Topic: Are GSX Updates changing my FSX.cfg?  (Read 3048 times)

J3Solo

Are GSX Updates changing my FSX.cfg?
« on: June 11, 2014, 01:42:23 pm »
Twice recently fsx was working perfectly when shut down. During that period the Coulti update was installed. Next day, I booted the PC, loaded fsx, and immediately had problems with plane selection, startup, etc. I then restarted fsx and every setting was back to default. It was like a complete new install of fsx. Fortunately I had a backup of the fsx.cfg from a couple of weeks ago.
As far as I know there have been no updates or programs added recently except GSX. I do not see how it could have caused this but am asking just in case. Btw... I really like GSX
Regards
Neal H

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Are GSX Updates changing my FSX.cfg?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 02:00:04 pm »
This has been asked and answered many times on the forum, but no, no FSX settings are changed in your FSX.CFG, unless you explicitly use the "Save to FSX" button in the Addon Manager, which will write the settings you see there in the FSX.CFG.

However, the GSX full installer does make a SINGLE change in the FSX.CFG file, and it sets the SKINNED_ANIMATIONS parameter (which is the same as the "Advanced Animations" flag in the FSX UI), because if it was off, no animations for humans would work. This is only done by the Full GSX installer, not the Live Updates.

And, any of our Uninstallers IF (and only IF) you reply YES to the question "Do you want to remove the Addon Manager" and YES to the question "Do you want to remove the Couatl scripting engine" when Uninstalling, they will clear all the lines belonging to the bglmanx.dll and couatl.exe in the [Trusted] section of the FSX.CFG file, so the next install any trust question will be remade.

These are the only place in any of our products where the FSX.CFG file is modified, no other settings are being touched so, whatever problem you had with the FSX.CFG, it wasn't caused by GSX or any of our products.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 02:02:06 pm by virtuali »

J3Solo

Re: Are GSX Updates changing my FSX.cfg?
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 05:18:41 pm »
Exactly what I thought but I asked just to be sure.
Thanks for the reply. In addition to GSX I also have 5 or 6 of your airports...all are terrific.
Regards
Neal H