Author Topic: Norton 360 keeps removing couatl.exe and preventing GSX from working  (Read 4925 times)

ozzieblr

I have had a recurring problem with Norton 360 removing couatl.exe because it thinks it is an infected file from an unreliable source (fsdreamteam.com).  Has anyone else had this problem?  If so has a solution been found?  I can replace the file int he folder each time I use FSX and it will run and operate normally, but this problem is becoming frustrating.  Any suggestions?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Norton 360 keeps removing couatl.exe and preventing GSX from working
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 03:06:16 pm »
Norton Antivirus is probably the biggest offender regarding false positives. We keep reporting it to them, they keep reply their software doesn't flag our products as positives, but it does.

As explained many times already on the forum, when the antivirus is faulty, you need to do the following:

- DOWNLOAD AND INSTALL with the antivirus entirely OFF

- Uninstall GSX. Reply YES when asked if you want to remove the Addon Manager and the Couatl Engine. Reply YES to both questions.

- TURN OFF your antivirus. Don't just exit from its interface, but turn off the real time protection. Actual wording changes between products, however, it's the option to scan every file that gets open in real time, without user intervention.

- Reinstall GSX with the Antivirus TURNED OFF. Don't launch FSX yet.

- Configure the antivirus to exclude the following files from scanning:

YourFSXFolder\bglmanx.dll
YourFSXFolder\fsdreamteam\Couatl\couatl.exe

YourFSXFolder it's usually C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X, if you installed it in the default folder.

- Now you can turn the antivirus back on, and launch FSX.

- Check you are seeing BOTH the "Addon Manager" menu AND the "Couatl powered products" menu under the "Addons" menu

ozzieblr

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2014, 03:04:08 am »
Thanks for your help - it seems to have worked.

I am a new user and had not found any reference to this problem on the forum in the searches I had done for couatl.

ozzieblr

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2014, 08:33:56 am »
I spoke too soon ... the problem is NOT solved.

I did things exactly as outlined above but even with the newly downloaded file, the exclusions in place, and in addition telling Norton 360 to ALLOW coualt.exe to operate, the file is STILL being removed.

Any further suggestions?

Regards,

StevenK

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2014, 11:07:52 am »
did you exclude your FSX folder and all files within?
I have norton 360 and have never had this problem.
Make sure the excluded folders are still in N360
Steven Kiberton
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit | AMD Bulldozer FX 6100 3.3Ghz | Coolermaster Hyper TX3 | ASUS Motherboard M5A 78L-M | 16GB DDR3 RAM | EVGA Geforce GTX 550 Ti 1gb PCI Express DDR3 DVI HDMI | 750w Corsair AX750 | 1TB HDD + 120GB SSD | x2 - 20" WideScreen Monitors

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2014, 11:39:40 am »
I did things exactly as outlined above but even with the newly downloaded file, the exclusions in place, and in addition telling Norton 360 to ALLOW coualt.exe to operate, the file is STILL being removed.

As I've said in my previous message, you must DOWNLOAD AND INSTALL with the antivirus entirely OFF. Just excluding the files from FSX  is not enough, because if you download and install with the antivirus enabled (even if it IS configured to ignore files in FSX), it will still try to block the download and/or remove the file BEFORE it's being installed, when is being decompressed by the installer in the Windows temporary folder.

Since excluding the Windows temporary folder from scanning is very dangerous, you must download and install with the antivirus entirely disabled. THEN configure it, and THEN launch FSX.

The better solution, of course, is to use a more reliable antivirus, that doesn't mistakenly flag normal programs for threats, such as the free, lightweight and always updated Security Essentials from Microsoft, which doesn't require any configuration to be used with our products.