Author Topic: Problems installing KDEN  (Read 14266 times)

albix

Problems installing KDEN
« on: May 13, 2014, 09:43:37 am »
Hello,
I own all sceneries of FSDT and FlightBeam. I recently purchased KDEN scenery. After having installed and activated in FSX I moved to that airport and noticed that TrackIR was frozen and Addon Manager appeared in menu bar but I was unable to open it. Same for Couatl.

I moved to KPHX and also in this airport I had the same problem with TrackIR frozen and Addon Manager and Couatl not opening.
Following indications from different forums I uninstalled KDEN, KPHX and GSX. I also deactivated the antivirus (ESET NOD32) reinstalled TrackIR software and replaced NVIDIA driver. Finally I reinstalled KPHX.

KPHX worked correctly but after having installed KDEN I had again same problems as before: TrackIR frozen and Addon Manager and Couatl not opening.
Do you think that I should remove ALL of FSDT and Flight Beam sceneries and then reinstall all of them or do you have a better solution for my problem?

Many thanks and best regards

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Problems installing KDEN
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 10:05:38 am »
I own all sceneries of FSDT and FlightBeam. I recently purchased KDEN scenery. After having installed and activated in FSX I moved to that airport and noticed that TrackIR was frozen and Addon Manager appeared in menu bar but I was unable to open it. Same for Couatl.

It's not possible that, by installing KDEN, you would have any problems with other FSDT sceneries, simply because the installer is exactly the SAME as an FSDT installer ( we made it ), and it installs exactly the same Addon Manager/Couatl files, which cannot be different, since their are downloaded online at the moment of your install.

About the frozen TrackIR, for the same reason, if there was a problem (which nobody ever reported before anyway), between one of the modules and the TrackIR module, it would have appeared with the FSDT sceneries too, it can't be possibly created by KDEN, simply because the installer installs the same module as the FSDT installers.

Have you tried this suggestion on the TrackIR site ? There seems to be a problem between it and Active Sky X, and a fix:

https://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/03-enhanced-games/game-flight-simulator-x.html

Our installers don't make any changes to the Simconnect.XML file but, if you or other installers (like ASX installer, for example) changed that file, it would affect BOTH TrackIR and any other add-on that requires Simconnect functionality, like our modules.

albix

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 10:39:43 am »
I don't have Active Sky X installed and apart from TrackIR issue i also have those problems with Addon Manager and Couatl windows not opening.

I am investigating deeper, I just checked LSZH. KPHX, KLAX without KDEN installed and everything is working properly. I am downloading KDEN again to be sure it was not a corrupted file. As soon as I have installed it I will check again and will let you know.

Many thanks. Talk you soon.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 10:45:17 am »
I don't have Active Sky X installed and apart from TrackIR issue i also have those problems with Addon Manager and Couatl windows not opening.

That was just an *example*, perhaps another product made similar changes to that file, resulting the same effect.

I am downloading KDEN again to be sure it was not a corrupted file

No need to do that. A corrupted download won't install, the installer has self-integrity checks, of course, and it would refuse to continue if the download was corrupted.

I just checked LSZH. KPHX, KLAX without KDEN installed and everything is working properly.

Are you using older installers for those products ?

Maybe you have a security program like an antivirus/firewall, which is blocking online access to the installers, so not everything from KDEN can be installed, because the antivirus/firewall is blocking just some files, and this will result in a version mismatch between old/new version of some files, which will cause any sort of problems. Have you seen warning about not being able to access the internet when installing KDEN ?

Try to download and install the Stand-Alone Addon Manager for FSX instead, and install it AFTER everything else.

albix

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 11:54:32 am »
Here is what happens:

- Antivirus disabled
- Installed newly downloaded KDEN. No firewall messages.
- Installed Addon Manager stand-alone
- Started FSX, went to LSZH, KLAX and KPHX. Everything worked fine.
- Moved to KDEN and I got same problems: Addon Manager and Couatl Windows not opening and TrackIR frozen AND (I forgot to mention before) engine shuts down.
- Disable KDEN form scenery library and LSZH, KLAX are working but when I move to KDEN (with default scenery) I still have the problems. It is like the area is being corrupted.
- When I close FSX it hangs on and have to close from Task Manager.

Many thanks for your help.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 12:30:15 pm »
- Moved to KDEN and I got same problems: Addon Manager and Couatl Windows not opening and TrackIR frozen AND (I forgot to mention before) engine shuts down.

Ok, try this:

- Enable Logging from the "Troubleshooting" section of the "GSX - Settings" menu, then restart FSX.

- Go to KDEN again and wait for the freeze to happen, and exit from FSX

- Check your %APPDATA%\Virtuali\ folder if you have a Couatl.ERR and a Couatl.LOG files, and post them both ( zip them and Attach to a message ).

albix

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2014, 01:31:04 pm »
only Couatl.LOG. Find it attached please.

Also, during GSX reinstallation I got the following error message: Internal error: An attempt was made to expand the "app" constant before it was initialized.

Thank you.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2014, 01:53:35 pm »
Also, during GSX reinstallation I got the following error message: Internal error: An attempt was made to expand the "app" constant before it was initialized.

That's surely is a problem, are you trying to run the installer from a network drive ?

Also, your log shows that you haven't installed KDEN, because is not present in the Scenery Library. To be meaningful, the log should be created after KDEN is installed.

If you installed it, do you also get the same error message as GSX ?

albix

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2014, 03:41:41 pm »
No, installed GSX from local drive. I reinstalled it and this time went smooth.

Attached is new log. KDEN showed not installed because it was disabled.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2014, 11:21:04 am »
Attached is new log. KDEN showed not installed because it was disabled

The scenery must be installed AND enabled on the Scenery Library. And, in case is still doesn't work after having it enabled, it's only THEN that your Couatl.LOG has any meaning.

albix

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2014, 02:42:00 pm »
Hello Umberto,
yes, i agree with you. The log attached in my last message is with scenery installed AND enabled.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2014, 02:58:39 pm »
Ok, I downloaded it again, and now it shows KDEN as active. The only thing strange is this line:

CreateFileMapping failed because the file has size 0 (system:0) accessing BGL file C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Games/Microsoft Flight Simulator X/Scenery/0702/scenery/giza_image.bgl, file ignored

This indicates you have a corrupted scenery file from the default scenery, because it shouldn't be of 0 length. However, that shouldn't cause any problems, because the file has been ignored, and the cache regeneration shows as being completed.

Airport cache regeneration completed with success in 16 seconds

The last line shows:

Connection with FSX lost (has it crashed?)

Have you seen a crash from FSX ? This message indicates that the program cannot communicate with FSX anymore, but it wasn't a regular quit (when quitting, Simconnect sends a proper message and allows to disconnect gracefully), it was an abrupt loss of communication.

What other add-ons are you running ?

albix

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2014, 03:15:10 pm »
Umberto, I think that the message was due to the fact that I had to close FSX through Task Manager because (only after having flown to KDEN) it hangs on without closing.

The addons I have installed are too many to be listed. Many Aerosoft, FlyTampa, FSDT, FlightBeam, Orbx, ImagineSim sceneries. UTX, GEX, REX and many Aircraft like PMDG, Majestic, Carenado, A2A, Aerosoft, LeonardoSH...

The doubt I am having now is that i moved and connected through "Junction Link Magic" three folders to a second local drive. They are: Addon Scenery, Aerosoft and Real Environment Xtreme 2.0. Could be a problem? Would be strange then because with all other FSDT and FlightBeam addons I don't have any issue.

Thank you one more time for your help.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2014, 03:22:59 pm »
The doubt I am having now is that i moved and connected through "Junction Link Magic" three folders to a second local drive. They are: Addon Scenery, Aerosoft and Real Environment Xtreme 2.0. Could be a problem? Would be strange then because with all other FSDT and FlightBeam addons I don't have any issue.

No, I don't think it has anything to do with it, what's really shouldn't happen, is that you have everything else from FSDT/Flightbeam working, KDEN is no different!

You can try to activate the Simconnect diagnostic mode,  Open notepad, and copy the following text:

[SimConnect]
level=normal
console=1
RedirectStdOutToConsole=1
OutputDebugString=1
; file=c:\simconnect%03u.log
; file_next_index=0
; file_max_index=9

Save the file as SIMCONNECT.INI in this folder:

Documents And Settings\YOUR LOGIN NAME\Documents\Microsoft Flight Simulator X Files

At the next FSX launch, you should see a text window with diagnostic messages, go to KDEN and see if you see something strange like errors, exceptions, etc, when the menu hangs. Note that, you should do all of this in Windowed mode.

albix

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2014, 03:51:27 pm »
I created SIMCONNECT.INI file and installed it following your indications. I also double checked it but still cannot see any diagnostic window.

Is the script correct?

Anyway Umberto, I don't want you to waste too much time with me. I see I am the only one having this problem so, most probably, it is due to my configuration. I just ordered a new SSD @ 500GB (good deal BTW  ;))and I will reinstall FSX from scratch. Hopefully everything will run smooth then.
Today we are having a wonderful day In Milan and I hope you will enjoy it.

Thank you very much for your patience and your help. I am looking forward to get KIAH soon.

Grazie mille, ciao!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 04:11:11 pm by albix »