Author Topic: Tweaks injected by addon manager into FSX  (Read 4113 times)

Longhaul444

• RCJ Transport
Tweaks injected by addon manager into FSX
« on: March 28, 2014, 01:03:00 pm »
Is there a way to not use the tweaks used by the addon manager? Before GSX installation I was running at 40 fps with the tweaks I manually put into the FSX.cfg file, since I installed GSX my fps has dropped. I can't understand how this happened as I used it before with no problems. Now I can't even use it as the fps drops to 3.8 at Atlanta sitting in a parking spot. I don't need the addon manager injecting tweaks into my FSX that I already have. Your buffer pool only goes to 100M, I have mine set at 600M. I don't use full screen as I have FS Tramp installed which has issues with full screen, and I already have the windowed VSync tweak in the cfg file. I removed GSX and addon manager and my fps went back to 40. Is there someway to disable it from messing with the tweaks? Or maybe have it disable the tweaks in addon mgr that are already in the cfg file so that they don't get injected again? My specs are as follows:

i7 960 @ 4.2 ghz liquid cooled
4-GTX 680s in quad-SLI mode
24GB memory
6-2TB WD HDD (1 dedicated to only FSX)
1 500GB WD HDD (W7 x64 Ultimate)
4 27" Planar PX2710MW monitors
1600 Ultra X4 PSU

My rig is more than capable of running FSX, as I don't have everything maxed out. Is there something I'm missing now with my reinstall that would cause the fps to drop that bad after GSX is installed with addon manager?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 01:29:45 pm by Longhaul444 »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Tweaks injected by addon manager into FSX
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 03:32:22 pm »
Is there a way to not use the tweaks used by the addon manager?

This has been discussed many times already, nothing is used or changed by the Addon Manager, unless YOU press the "Save to FSX" button.

Before GSX installation I was running at 40 fps with the tweaks I manually put into the FSX.cfg file, since I installed GSX my fps has dropped

That Addon Manager hasn't changed ANY of the settings you manually added. When you see the tweaks slider in the Addon Manager, they are taken FROM the setting that were ALREADY THERE in your FSX.CFG.

If there was no tweak, it doesn't mean that FSX didn't had any value for it. It would have a default value so, if you press the "Save to FSX" button for a tweak that didn't existed in the FSX.CFG, it would be written back with the default value, which is the same if you didn't had any tweak to begin with.

I don't need the addon manager injecting tweaks into my FSX that I already have. Your buffer pool only goes to 100M, I have mine set at 600M

600M of buffer pools doesn't make any sense, and it will worsen performances, because you are taking AWAY precious VRAM that could be used for textures, to allocate directx buffers.  However, as I've said, if you don't save the settings, nothing is changed in the FSX.CFG.

If you have a fast card, you might be better with 0. If you don't believe it, look here:

http://airdailyx.blogspot.com/2013/02/fsxcfg-tweak-review-bufferpools.html

The test result was that by progressively increasing the bufferpools value, result in an increase of video artifacts, which is understandable, because less video memory is available for textures and polygons (hence the artifacts) and the conclusion was the best setting ended up being 0.

I don't use full screen as I have FS Tramp installed which has issues with full screen, and I already have the windowed VSync tweak in the cfg file. I removed GSX and addon manager and my fps went back to 40.

There wasn't any need to uninstall anything, and this supposed fps change didn't had anything to do with the Addon Manager. As you said, if you ALREADY have the VSync tweak, what difference do you think it would made, if the SAME setting is written by you manually, or by the Addon Manager ? But again, nothing is ever written unless you press the "Save to FSX" button.

Is there someway to disable it from messing with the tweaks?

Don't press the "Save to FSX" button.

Or maybe have it disable the tweaks in addon mgr that are already in the cfg file so that they don't get injected again?

As I've said, if a tweak was already there, the Addon Manager will just present its present value to you, and EVEN if you press the "Save to FSX" button, it will be saved back as it was.

The only exception would be if your manually inserted value is out of the normal range so, for example, the 600M bufferpool setting, which doesn't really many much sense, would be instead written back ( IF YOU PRESS THE SAVE BUTTON ), as the maximum allowed by the Addon Manager.

But obviously, nothing prevents you to manually rewrite it as it was: the Addon Manager won't change it UNLESS you press the "Save to FSX" button again.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 03:37:02 pm by virtuali »

Longhaul444

• RCJ Transport
Re: Tweaks injected by addon manager into FSX
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 06:27:11 pm »
Thanks for the reply. I never hit the "Save to FSX" button, I was under the impression that it used those settings. I didn't know they were reading what was already there, my bad. Also, my buffer pools set at 600M has made my system run better than with 0. This is just my system, for some reason any setting other than 600M makes it worse. As far as its been discussed, I did a search for addon manager and fsx tweaks and got zip, so I apologize for creating another thread. I am going to reinstall everything again. I had everything running perfectly before I had a HDD failure back in January, now it seems I can't find the sweet spot in my machine again. It's driving me nuts. Anyway I appreciate all the help. Will let you know how things go.......